Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

Which Weighs More: 1,000 Pounds of Muscle or 1,000 Pounds of Fat?

Clearly, the muscle will weigh considerably more. I've calculated that 1,000 pounds of muscle is actually 1,800 pounds of muscle and that 1,000 pounds of fat is more like 650 pounds of fat. I worked out this equation with my personal trainer.

Of course I'm jk'ing with you here, because I don't have a personal trainer. But if I did, and my goal was to lose weight and I wasn't losing weight, I would not be the least bit surprised to hear those infamous words come up in conversation.

So here's the dealio: muscle is more dense than fat. So if you've ever got caught up watching TLC and they're performing lipo on someone, you've likely seen them pull out gobs of a gelatinous yellowy-orange substance that i've nicknamed "fat." Then they'll put the "fat" in some tube and say it's 10 pounds. Now you'd never see anyone have 10 pounds of muscle removed from them, but if they did, it would go into a smaller tube.

If you have a personal trainer and your goal is to lose weight, do not fall into this absurd rationalization process. Yes, you may be gaining some muscle during the process which may minimize the initial changes, but if you want to lose weight, you should *drum roll* be losing weight.

Now the tough thing about personal training is that trainers only see clients for a few hours a week. What they do in the rest of their free time is far more important than the time they spend training in the gym. So don't eat like an idiot. And stop saying this ridiculous phrase. And stop playing Farmville. Okay, you can still play Farmville. I'm sorry, I got caught up in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment